Awsworth Primary and Nursery School is part of the East Midlands Education Trust (EMET). EMET is governed by a Board of Trustees who have overall responsibility for the management and administration of the MAT and the Academies run by the MAT.
Awsworth Primary also has a Local Governing Body (LGB) who are delegated certain roles, responsibilities and decision making powers relating to Awsworth from the EMET board through the scheme of delegation with regards to the running of the school. The LGB report back and are accountable to the EMET Trustees through the minutes of meetings.
The key areas that have been delegated to the Awsworth Primary and Nursery LGB are: –
- To advise the Trustees on strategic issues relating to the Academy including consulting with the Trustees on the proposed admissions policy;
- To report to the Trustees both generally and specifically as the Trustees may require;
- To oversee and control the financial performance of its Academy within the limits specified in the MAT’s Financial Manual including maintaining such records as the Trustees may require and advising the Trustees generally on financial issues;
- To determine such policies as the MAT may delegate to the LGB and to advise the MAT on all other policies;
- To have the general oversight of the Academy’s activities including monitoring and evaluating the standards and performance of the Academy and the application of designated funding such as the Pupil Premium.
LGB Vision and Strategic Plan
Our LGB is made up of members of the local and school community, all acting on a voluntary basis. We have a mixture of parent and staff governors as well as members who have been co-opted from the local community. Each member brings a different perspective and set of skills to the governing body.
Details of current Governing Body
|Governors name and category of governor||Date of appointment||Term of office||Roles||Appointment (in accordance with the governing body’s instrument of government)|
|Mrs Hannah Adkin-Walker|
|13.10.2021||4 Years||Chair of governors||Appointed by the governing body|
|Mrs Erika Owen|
|22.10.2022||4 Years||Vice Chair||Appointed by the governing body|
|Vacancy – Community|
|Mrs Nikki Huffton|
|22.01.2020||4 Years||Link: GDPR, Website, Equalities||Appointed by the governing body|
|Mr Simon Pearse|
|30.06.2021||4 Years||Link: Safeguarding Pupil Premium||Appointed by the governing body|
|Mrs Jennifer Renshaw|
|16.11.2022||4 Years||Link: Curriculum||Appointed by the governing body|
|Mr Daniel Fyffe|
|13.11.2019||4 Years||Link: Health and Safety||Elected by parents|
|Mr Benjamin Painter|
|01.09.2021||Ongoing whilst in post||Ex-officio Staff Governor (Headteacher)|
|Mrs Andrea Grocutt|
|25.01.2023||4 Years||Elected by Staff|
|Mrs Johanne Reeves||25.01.2023||Observer |
The role of the Local Governing Body is not to manage the school on a day-to-day basis – that responsibility belongs with the Head Teacher. The Governing Body take a more strategic view based on the three core values listed below.
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff;
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
To do this we set up a strategic framework for the school, setting its aims and objectives, setting policies and targets for achieving the objectives, reviewing progress and reviewing the strategic framework in the light of progress. We work closely with the Head Teacher, providing advice and support, but also constructive challenge to the school as necessary.
When a school is inspected by Ofsted, its governing body will be required to provide evidence that governors are fulfilling these three core functions alongside the Trustees of the Trust.
Declaration of Interests 22-23
|School||Position||Forename||Surname||Name and nature of the business||Nature of the interest||Interested party||Date of appointment or acquisition|
|Awsworth Primary and Nursery||Governor||Erika||Owen||ZeckserOwen Suzuki Violin||Private music tuition||Self||9/1/2009|
|Awsworth Primary and Nursery||Governor||Hannah||Adkin-Walker||Breaking Ground Construction Ltd.||Director||Self||27/4/2014|
|Awsworth Primary and Nursery||Headteacher||Ben||Painter||Laura Painter – EMET Schools||Supply Teacher||Spouse||8/22/2014|
Register of attendance 2023-24
|Name||Sept 23||Dec 23||Jan 24||March 24||May 24||June 24|
|Hannah Adkin- Walker||Y|
|Name||Sept 22||Dec 22||Jan 23||March 23||May 23||June 23|
|Hannah Adkin- Walker||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y||Y|
|Name||Sept 21||Dec 21||Jan 22||March 22||May 22||June 22|
The following Governors have left their positions in the past 12 months:
- Karen Eardley
- Linda Abolins